Depending on Fulham’s result against Wolves on Friday, the Magpies could be presented with an ideal opportunity to give themselves clear daylight over the bottom three.
Victory at Turf Moor would also bring the Clarets back into danger ahead of the final seven games of the campaign.
But before all that, there are plenty of other headlines surrounding Newcastle. Here’s the latest from today:
Brendan Rodgers reveals he talked Swansea City defender out of move to Newcastle United whilst on Mount Kilimanjaro
Sunderland suffer major injury blow
Newcastle United transfer news: Magpies identify £40m James Maddison alternative with ex-Crystal Palace man linked
Eddie Howe’s surprise Newcastle United transfer admission as Brighton draw reinforces priority
Newcastle United transfer target confirms move ahead of official announcement
Aston Villa told to sign Allan Saint-Maximin
Former Aston Villa midfielder Lee Hendrie has urged his boyhood club to sign Allan Saint-Maximin – if Newcastle are relegated from the top-flight.
The Frenchman has established himself as a key member of Bruce’s squad, despite being restricted to 17 appearances this season due to illness and injury.
Saint-Maximin is bound to attract countless interest if United do fall into the Championship – and Hendrie wants Villa to be one of those clubs.
“He is one that I would certainly take,” he told Transfer Tavern. “He’s got that Premier League credibility. We’ve seen what he can do.
“He’s got that attack rate, he’s got flair, you know, all sorts. He could be a key addition to a Villa side that I feel… that’s where they’ve really lacked, in wide areas.”
Omar Colley linked with Newcastle… again
Newcastle have once again been mentioned as a potential destination for Sampdoria defender Omar Colley.
As per Gazzetta dello Sport via Sport Witness, the 28-year-old “appeals” to the Magpies after targetting him in January.
The Gambian international is open to the idea of moving to England but United’s apparent interest will only stand if they remain a top-flight club.
A number of teams have been linked with Colley – including Leeds, West Ham and Fulham.
As things stand, Bruce is set to lose two central defenders in the form of Federico Fernandez and Fabian Schar on a free transfer – though do hold a one-year option on the latter’s contract.
Eddie Howe to remain out of work until the summer
Eddie Howe is set to wait until at least the summer before returning to management amid links to Newcastle and Celtic.
The former Bournemouth had been touted as a possible replacement for Steve Bruce, however Mike Ashley has made it clear he is sticking by his head coach.
Speculation surrounding Howe to Celtic has increased in recent weeks, but the 43-year-old won’t be rushed into a return to the dugout.
Howe's representative told Sky Sports: “Talks of any deal being close are extremely premature.
"His plan remains to not return to management until the summer at the earliest."
A message from the Football Clubs Editor
Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.
This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription; sign up here.
Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor