Newcastle United news: Chris Wilder and Sean Dyche linked, Karl Darlow tipped for summer exit
Steve Bruce’s position at Newcastle United is safe following Mike Ashley’s public backing on Sunday morning.
The Magpies’ 3-0 defeat at Brighton and Hove Albion had provoked a powerful reaction from the fanbase – calling for the 60-year-old to be sacked.
The Sports Direct tycoon, in typical fashion, was left completely unfazed, with Bruce set to return to the dugout for the next Premier League fixture against Tottenham Hotspur.
However, it is reported that the situation on Tyneside is being monitored by those interested in potentially succeeding Bruce, if Ashley changes his stance.
Eurosport sources are indicating that former Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder and Burnley boss Sean Dyche would both be keen on the role.
Paul Robinson criticises Newcastle players after weekend reports
It was claimed by Football Insider that several United players were considering face-to-face talks with Lee Charnley after being left shocked by Ashley’s support for Bruce.
And former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson has furiously hit out at those rumours when speaking to the same publication.
“It has got nothing to do with the players,” the 41-year-old said. “Steve Bruce is employed by the football club to manage the players and the players are employed by the club to perform on the pitch.
“I do not want players to start thinking they need to speak to chairmen or directors, it’s wrong. I do not like it. They are paid to play football and nothing else.
“The decision is made by those in charge of the club. If there is a problem with Bruce, it needs to come from the chairman or the board.
“It is not in the player’s interests to speak to Charnley or to start a revolt against Bruce.
“Not in any of my years in football have I seen anything like that or thought about doing anything like that. Even when I disliked the manager I played for, I never dreamt of going to a chairman to ask for him to be sacked.”
Karl Darlow tipped to leave Newcastle this summer
Robinson also had his say on Karl Darlow’s situation on Tyneside – tipping him to leave at the end of the season.
England boss Gareth Southgate revealed last week the former Nottingham Forest man was on the brink of a call-up but losing his place Martin Dubravka last month ultimately proved costly.
Robinson believes the 30-year-old being so close to making the national squad will fuel his ambition to go and play regular first-team football.
He said: “His performances gave himself a great opportunity of getting into Gareth Southgate’s plans but Bruce dropped him after an indifferent performance at Manchester United.
“It is always going to be difficult for Darlow with someone of Dubravka’s quality behind him. Manager’s tend to have a loyalty to their number one goalkeeper. It is almost like a comfort blanket.
“Darlow was very highly rated when he was young but he has struggled for game time at Newcastle.
“I think the way he has played this season, and how close he got to an England call up will give him the hunger and desire to go and play regular football.
“I think regardless of whether Newcastle stay up, he will leave this summer.”