Newcastle United 'set' to sign ex-Arsenal man; CEO confirms interest in Magpies, Leeds and West Ham 'target'

Newcastle United are reportedly closing in on the signing of former Arsenal schoolboy Shaun Mavididi.

Wednesday, 14th April 2021, 5:46 pm

That’s according to Football Insider, who claims Mavididi has been offered a two-year scholarship, which would then be converted into a one-year professional contract.

Mavididi, an attacker, was released by the Gunners earlier this year before going on trial at Newcastle, where he played for the under-18s in February.

His brother Stephy was also on the books at the Emirates before joining Juventus in 2018 for around £1.3million.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

St James' Park, the home of Newcastle United. (Photo by Scott Heppell - Pool/Getty Images)

Barnsley CEO confirms Premier League interest in Daryl Dike

Barnsley chief executive Dane Murphy has confirmed Premier League clubs are showing interest in Daryl Dike.

Newcastle were credited as one of several clubs said to be monitoring the USA international – alongside the likes of Leeds United, West Ham and Everton.

The 20-year-old striker, who is on loan from MLS side Orlando City, is one of the key reasons why the Tykes are in a strong position to seal a shock play-off spot with eight goals i 14 appearances.

Valerien Ismael’s side have an option to sign him permanently at the end of the season as Dike continues to attract admirers from England’s top-flight.

“I wouldn’t say we have to go to the Premier League to achieve the buy-out,” Murphy told BBC Sheffield.

“Now that Daryl Dike’s performances have put him in a place where the Premier League are interested. He’s a 20-year-old kid with the world in front of him.”

Gabby Agbonlahor: Newcastle fans will owe Steve Bruce an apology

Former Aston Villa striker Gabby Agbonlahor says Newcastle United fans will owe Steve Bruce an apology for the way they have treated him.

A large majority of United supporters have called for the 60-year-old to be sacked after a horrific run of results dragged the club into relegation danger.

Agbonlahor, however, feels Bruce is not to blame – citing Covid-19 and injuries as the main reasons for the Magpies’ decline.

Indeed, the 34-year-old insists Newcastle will survive comfortably and when they do, an apology to the former Manchester United defender is warranted.

He told Football Insider: “I’ve said this all through the season that Steve Bruce deserved people to get off his back,”

“He’s had a hard season with injuries, coronavirus affected his squad the most with players missing games.

“Once you get Callum Wilson back, once you get Allan Saint-Maximin back they’ll be a different team and it’s shown already.

“Newcastle will be absolutely fine, they’ve got no chance of going down. They will continue to get wins.

“Newcastle fans will owe Steve Bruce an apology for the way they’ve treated him.

“Hopefully the Newcastle chairman will give him some money in the summer to build an even better team.

“I’m happy for him and I’m happy that he’s got those players back.”

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription; sign up here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor