Newcastle United suffer second transfer blow amid Mike Ashley talks

Newcastle United have suffered another transfer window blow.

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 6:49 pm

The club, which has missed out on Inter Milan-bound Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud, has been told that Ademola Lookman will not be loaned out by RB Leipzig.

Newcastle had been looking to sign the 22-year-old for the rest of the season, but the Gazette reported last week that the club was yet to make a decision on Lookman’s short-term future. However, Leipzig director Oliver Mintzlaff has now ruled out a move for Lookman, who has found his opportunities limited since moving from Everton in a £22million deal last summer.

“It was certainly not an easy first round for him,” said Mintzlaff. "Nonetheless, we believe in him and his quality. So we will certainly not loan Ademola Lookman. Ademola is a player who has already proven to us that he has a lot of quality.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ademola Lookman.