Newcastle United takeover latest as ex-Leeds United man claims Steve Bruce has an 'underrated' squad

The ongoing saga involving Newcastle United and the £300million+ takeover by the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia has reportedly taken a fresh twist.

Thursday, 15th April 2021, 11:04 am

A report from the Daily Mail, which made the national title’s front page, says Mohammed bin Salman, the Crown Prince of KSA, asked Prime Minister Boris Johnson to “intervene” after the bid ran into difficulties with the Premier League.

It is claimed Johnson asked one of his top aides Lord Udny-Liste, to investigate bin Salman’s request, who is alleged to have warned the row over the sale club could damage relations between the two countries.

A Government spokesman said the sale had been a “commercial matter” and that the Government was not involved at any point in the takeover talks.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Boris Johnson and Mohammed bin Salman pictured together in 2018. (Photo by Dan Kitwood - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Federico Fernandez discusses his injury return

Federico Fernandez has opened up on his long injury lay-off at Newcastle United.

The Argentine defender, who caught coronvairus in December, missed almost three months of action due to a thigh injury.

Fernandez finally returned to the starting XI on Sunday during the 2-1 win at Burnley in the Premier League.

Now, the 32-year-old is preparing to finish the season strong and steer United away from relegation danger.

"I had Covid in November then a month later, I got injured,” the former Swansea City defender told NUFCTV.

"I tried my best to get back soon but sometimes it's doesn't work as you plan.

"I needed to be patient and now I feel better and ready for the last couple of games."

Newcastle United have an ‘underrated’ squad

Newcastle United have an underrated squad and would have performed much better this season if it weren’t for injuries.

That’s the verdict of former Sheffield United and Leeds goalkeeper Paddy Kenny.

A horrific run – which at one point included two wins in 21 matches – sent Steve Bruce’s side crashing into relegation trouble.

The Magpies’ top-flight status is still not secure, despite the win at Turf Moor opening up a crucial six-point gap.

The return of Allan Saint-Maximin and Callum Wilson is a welcomed boost for Bruce and had those players stay fit for the full season, Kenny believes Newcastle would be in a much safer position.

He told Football Insider: “They’ve got an underrated squad.

“Keeping them all fit, that’s the problem. If you’re without your key players, you’re gonna struggle.

“But Fraser, Saint-Maximin, Wilson, Almiron, they’re all quality players who shouldn’t really be in this position.

“If they’d all stayed fit maybe they wouldn’t be.”

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription; sign up here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor