Newcastle United takeover & transfer news: Uruguayan winger and Nigerian forward eyed as defender returns

Newcastle United are reportedly set to rival Manchester City for Uruguayan prospect Facundo Pellistri.

Friday, 29th May 2020, 4:45 pm
Updated Sunday, 31st May 2020, 2:11 pm
Lille's Nigerian forward Victor Osimhen (L) fights for the ball against Toulouse's Ivorian midfielder Ibrahim Sangare during the French L1 football match between Lille and Toulouse on February 22, 2020 at the Pierre Mauroy Stadium in Villeneuve d'Ascq. (Photo by FRANCOIS LO PRESTI / AFP) (Photo by FRANCOIS LO PRESTI/AFP via Getty Images)

And the Magpies are also thought to retain an interest in in-demand Nigerian forward Victor Osimhen.

Pellistri is an 18-year-old winger has broken into the Penarol first-team this season, coached by ex-Manchester United and Atletico Madrid striker Diego Forlan.

While Real Madrid, Atletico, Napoli and Argentine outfit Boca Juniors have shown an interest in the youngster previously, according to the Daily Mail, the Magpies and City are leading the race for his signature.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The report states: “City are well placed in the pursuit. They have a full-time scout based in Uruguay, plus Montevideo City Torque under their company umbrella, and are understood to have already held discussions with Pellistri's representatives to put themselves ahead of the competition.”

On United’s interest, it continues: “Newcastle for their part have had equally glowing reports on the skilful youngster. They would like to bring him to the Premier League now but the delay over the club's sale means their pitch to Pellistri's family and representatives remains on hold.”

On his player’s talents, Forlan told Fox Sports: “Pellistri has huge potential. There is still a lot to work on. He is growing and he makes a difference. We know it will be difficult to keep him for a long time. He has great pace and that is hard to handle.”

The player is thought to be valued at around £10million.

Meanwhile, reports in France claim Newcastle have shown an interest in Nigerian forward Osimhen.

Osimhen's representative Ariyo Igbayilola confirmed United’s desire to sign the player.

“I can confidently tell you that the only club that wants Victor 100% right now is Napoli. Also, Newcastle are in the race just like Tottenham. But it’s just interest alone,” he said.

“I think with the pressure from different clubs in Europe, I doubt if he will stay with Lille in the coming season.”

Elsewhere, controversial defender Danny Rose has returned to training with United’s first team following injury, while reported target Edinson Cavani is close to signing a deal with Serie A side Inter Milan.