Newcastle United target breaks silence over reports regarding his future

Newcastle United target Boubakary Soumare has broken his silence over reports claiming he is unsettled at Lille.

Wednesday, 19th February 2020, 11:19 am
Updated Wednesday, 19th February 2020, 1:48 pm
(Photo by DENIS CHARLET / AFP) (Photo by DENIS CHARLET/AFP via Getty Images)
(Photo by DENIS CHARLET / AFP) (Photo by DENIS CHARLET/AFP via Getty Images)

The 20-year-old turned down a move to St James's Park in January after a £35million was submitted to the French club from the Magpies.

Soumare is yet to feature for Lille since the closure of the window last month and boss Christophe Galtier admitted there was tension behind the scenes.

He said at the weekend: “In seasons, there can be tension between a player and his club. We’ll settle this internally and find a solution."

Now, Soumare, also linked with Manchester United and Liverpool, has issued his own statement, insisting the issues are now resolved.

He could end his four-match absence at home to Toulouse on Saturday.

“We needed to talk to each other to resolve a situation concerning the management and development of my career,” Soumare told L'Equipe.

“Now it’s settled. We need to move forward. We need to take three points on Saturday to reach our podium ambitions. That’s all I’m interested in.

“I’m really very happy to be at the LOSC. There’s an extraordinary project here for the young players!

“It’s also a balance with more experienced players who allow us to develop on a daily basis.

“I hope we end up on the podium, that we can get back to the C1 for our fans. I’m confident in the club’s project and that of its president, Gerard Lopez.

“My agents and I are working hand in hand and in good understanding with the club.”