Newcastle United U18s 1-6 Aston Villa U18s: Young Magpies crash out of FA Youth Cup

Newcastle United’s FA Youth Cup quarter-final tie was over before it started.

Tuesday, 27th April 2021, 8:54 pm
Updated Tuesday, 27th April 2021, 10:38 pm
St James' Park, the home of Newcastle United Football Club. (Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

Sadly for Neil Winskill’s youngsters, an Aston Villa side that contained seven players who featured in the third round of the FA Cup against Liverpool in January proved a huge step too far.

It wasn’t quite the nine goals Villa hit past Burton Albion in the previous round but it was close.

With just over a minute on the clock, Villa opened the scoring and never really looked back after Paul Appiah’s header at the back post.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Brad Young then quickly doubled the visitors’ lead when he latched onto a ball into the area by Arjan Raikhy to slot past goalkeeper Max Thompson.

Anderson provided glimpses of what Steve Bruce, who watched on from the stands at St James’ Park, knows he is capable of.

His first moment came on 12 minutes when he skipped past Appiah on the left but could only fire into the side netting from a tight angle.

It sparked a decent spell in possession for the young Magpies but Villa defended well and maintained their killer instinct.

Josh Nicholson produced a brilliant block to deny Carney Chukwuemeka but the Villa forward didn’t have to wait long before adding a third,

Thompson’s excellent near-post save with his legs thwarted Chukwuemeka before he tipped over Louie Barry’s long-range effort.

However, that counted for nothing as the former soon waltzed into the area from a short corner to power home.

Three-nil with just 28 minutes on the clock sealed the cup tie in Villa’s favour, even if Newcastle did briefly threaten to make things interesting.

A touch of class from Anderson almost allowed United to pull one back sooner.

The Whitley Bay-born midfielder superbly chested down Joe Oliver’s long pass, turned his man before his low effort was deflected wide.

Anderson then officially made his mark on the game, five minutes later, when he fed advanced left-back Josh Scott, who fired low past Filip Marcchall.

United's chance to really get back into the game had been and gone just after the half-time whistle.

Lucas de Bolle weaved his way into the penalty area but saw his attempt blocked by Marcchall.

Villa went back on the front foot – Seb Revan and Kaine Hayden both failed to hit the target with decent opportunities before the game was put well-and-truly out of sight.

Chukwuemeka, Villa’s danger man all night, completed his hat-trick. On both occasions, he was allowed time and space to finish inside the area.

Substitute Kahrel Reddin then capped off the scoreline with the goal of the night, cutting inside on the left before picking out the top left corner.

Villa controlled the final stage as United fell short in their bid to reach the last four of the competition for the first time since 2010.

NEWCASTLE UNITED U18S XI: Max Thompson, Joe Oliver, Harry Barclay, Josh Nicholson, Josh Scott, Nathan Carlyon, Jamie Miley, Reagan Thomson (Kyle Crossley, 60), Lucas De Bolle (Josh Gilchrist, 86), Elliot Anderson (C), Dylan Stephenson (James Huntley, 72).

Subs not used: Josh Stewart, Olivier Marshall, Lewis Brannen, Michael Ndiweni.

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription; sign up here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor