Steve Bruce addresses Newcastle United's transfer interest in Hamza Choudhury and Jetro Willems
Steve Bruce has addressed Newcastle United’s interest in Hamza Choudhury.
The relegation-threatened club has been strongly linked with a move for the Leicester City midfielder in this month’s transfer window – and Bruce has admitted to “liking” the 23-year-old, who is reportedly available for transfer.
Speaking ahead of tomorrow’s game against Everton at Goodison Park, United's head coach said: "It’s somebody we’ve liked, it’s been reported, but, as I’ve said, I’m never going to speak about anybody else’s players. I think that would be wrong, but it’s somebody that we do like.”
Bruce still hopes to sign “one or two” players on loan before the February 1 transfer deadline.
“Well, we’ve had to be patient,” said Bruce. “And we’re still hopeful. I’ve got one or two calls to make to managers in the next 24 hours. We’re still hopeful we can get one or two over the line.”
There have been discussions over a move for former loanee Jetro Willems, who suffered a serious knee injury playing for the club against Chelsea a year ago.
However, Bruce has all but ruled out a move for the 26-year-old Eintracht Frankfurt defender, who is yet to play a competitive first-team game this season following successful surgery last year.
“I think Jetro hasn’t played enough, unfortunately,” said Bruce.
Newcastle are 16th in the Premier League after an 11-game run without a win in all competitions. The club this week brought in Graeme Jones to assist Bruce, who has been under intense pressure in recent weeks.