Steve Bruce addresses unfinished transfer business at Newcastle United

Steve Bruce says Newcastle United are already working to identify summer targets – after opting not to sign a striker in January.

Monday, 2nd March 2020, 10:21 am
Updated Monday, 2nd March 2020, 10:21 am

Bruce’s side, held to a goalless draw by Burnley on Satutrday, hasn’t scored since the last transfer window closed.

The club opted against signing a striker, with Bruce, United’s head coach, insisting that there wasn’t a player available who was better than what he had already.

Asked if the club was already assessing summer targets, Bruce said: “Of course we are. We would be wrong not to. That's why I didn't spend any money in January. If I had brought someone in who was not of better quality, we’d be stuck in the same situation. We'll go again, we'll have another look again, and see what we can do.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Steve Bruce.

Newcastle are 14th in the league and just five points above the relegation zone.