Steve Bruce gives Allan Saint-Maximin update at Newcastle United

Allan Saint-Maximin will not be back for Newcastle United’s Carabao Cup quarter-final against Brentford.

Monday, 21st December 2020, 10:51 am
Updated Monday, 21st December 2020, 10:52 am

Saint-Maximin has been sidelined since late last month, when he missed the club’s win over Crystal Palace with a calf problem.

Newcastle were subsequently forced to close the training ground – and request the postponement of a fixture against Aston Villa – due to a Covid-19 outbreak. The club has not named those who tested positive, though Isaac Hayden, Federico Fernandez and Emil Krafth have revealed that they had Covid-19.

Asked if Saint-Maximin would be back for tomorrow’s cup tie at the Brentford Community Stadium, Bruce said: “No.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Speaking after the game, United’s head coach said: “I think the big problem we've got has been well documented with the illness, unfortunately.

"As we speak, numbers are still far too high – and they're big players for us. It's difficult, of course, but we've just got to try and manage it as best we can, and be sensible and take the advice, which the medical people can tell us and see where we can get to.”

Allan Saint-Maximin.

"He was just struggling with fatigue,” said Bruce. “It’s caused through illness, we think. As I’ve said many times, that’s the problem.

"The virus can prove negative, but it’s the after-effects and the fatigue side of it.”

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of NUFC coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription to our new sports-only package here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor