Steve Bruce issues Paul Dummett contract update at Newcastle United after long-overdue goal
Paul Dummett will have to wait for discussions on his Newcastle United future – but maybe for not too much longer.
Dummett, out of contract in the summer, ended a five-year goal drought in last night’s stunning 4-2 win over third-placed Leicester City.
Callum Wilson also netted twice – and Joe Willock made it four goals from four games – at the King Power Stadium.
“I didn’t know it was his first goal in five years, but, yeah, just at the right time him getting fit, with his experience and know-how, has certainly helped us,” said Steve Bruce.
Dummett – who missed most of last year through injury – has made a timely return to form in recent weeks as a left-sided central defender.
The 29-year-old is playing for his future at St James’s Park, with the club having an option to extend his deal by another year.
Bruce says discussions will have to wait until the club is mathematically safe, though that could come on Monday night if third-bottom Fulham fail to beat Burnley.
“Look, there’ll be discussions going on in the next few weeks, that’s for sure,” said United’s head coach. “Obviously, we’re all aware of Dummy’s situation. Until we get mathematically safe, we won’t have any discussions until it’s done.”
Dummett – whose last goal had come against Manchester United in January 2016 – had been going up for corners following a chat with Matt Ritchie.
The Wales international headed home a Ritchie corner at the back post to make it 2-0 before the break at the King Power Stadium. Callum Wilson netted twice in the second half.
“It was a bit weird,” said Bruce. “I didn’t know what to do to celebrate when I scored. It’s a weird feeling.
"It’s been such a long since I’d scored. I don’t go up very often for set-pieces. Before the game, Matty’s told me to go up for corners. Me and Emil (Krafth) were taking turns. I was buzzing to get on the end of it. It was 136 games, I think, without a goal, so that means a lot.”