Steve Bruce reacts to Newcastle United takeover development

Steve Bruce has reacted to the withdrawal of the Saudi Arabia-funded bid for Newcastle United.

Saturday, 22nd August 2020, 8:00 am

Bruce had demanded “clarity” in the latter part of last season as the Premier League ran its owners’ and directors’ test on the group led by financier Amanda Staveley.

The consortium withdrew its bid late last month over the Premier League’s failure to make a timely decision, though there are hopes on Tyneside that the proposed £300million takeover can be resurrected.

Speaking from the team’s training base in York, head coach Bruce said: “I think the club needed to (have clarity). There’s nothing worse than uncertainty at any club, because it just filters down, no matter how you try and fudge it. It filters down to everybody.

"Am I going to be safe in my job? That’s not just me, it’s everybody around the ground. We’re glad there’s a bit of clarity. It’s done, and we get on with it.”

Bruce is now focused on preparing his team for the new season – and adding to his squad.

However, Newcastle’s finances have been hit by the coronavirus pandemic, and the club. which is set to sign free agent Jeff Hendrick, must “box clever” in the transfer market, according to Bruce.

"It’s business as usual, and we’ve got to try and box a bit clever over the summer,” said Bruce.

Steve Bruce.

“Certainly, the financial situation has hit every club, including our own. We’ve got to be a bit shrewd in what we do, and box a bit clever, and still try to take us forward.”