Steve Bruce reacts to social media boycotts amid 'vile' online abuse aimed at him as Newcastle United head coach
Steve Bruce has backed a week-long boycott of social media by Swansea City and a number of other teams.
The Championship club yesterday revealed that it would not post any content on its social media channels in response to online abuse and discrimination.
Bruce – who has previously spoken about the “vile” abuse directed at him on social media – was asked for his view on Swansea’s decision ahead of Sunday’s Premier League game against Burnley at Turf Moor on Sunday.
“Me, personally, I’m right behind the actions that were taken,” said United’s head coach.
“Let’s hope it starts the people who run these platforms into accountability. You should be accountable.
"If you’re going to go out there and post something, you should be accountable for what you’re writing. Certainly, the abuse I’ve taken on social media, for me, it’s a scourge. For me, you should ban it all. That’s me thinking I don’t see any benefit.
"For me, it’s all about vulnerability. If you’re vulnerable, no matter what walk of life you’re in, if you’re vulnerable, and people are abusing you, especially the young people of today, you get sort of addicted to this thing, where they’re constantly reading it, and abused.
"Then, if you’re a little bit fragile, then it can damage you, it can damage people. So I’m all for it. Ban the whole lot as far as I’m concerned. No social media, for me, would be the way forward – and I’m right behind them.
"But I do think, in all seriousness, that the platforms should be policed, (and people should be) accountable for what you do and what messages you send out there. I’ve seen it, some of it is vile, I have to tell you. I applaud them clubs.”
Bruce’s son Alex, a former footballer, has also been abused online.
“As far as I know, I think my son come off Twitter,” said Bruce.
“He come off it because of the abuse he was getting. I think my daughter’s done the same sort of thing too. It’s not right.”