Steve Bruce reveals why Newcastle United may NOT buy in January's transfer window
Steve Bruce doesn’t believe Newcastle United will strengthen in January – as clubs won’t sell.
The club, which is 14th in the Premier League ahead of tomorrow night’s game against Sheffield United, spent more than £60million in the summer, though this outlay was partly offset by the £30million sale of Ayoze Perez.
There is some money available to spend in the window, though Bruce is not confident that the right players will be available.
United’s head coach also says he’s yet to fully assess Dwight Gayle, Yoshinori Muto and Florian Lejeune.
“I've said all along, if there's something that can improve us (the club will look to do business), but if I'm brutally honest, I can't see it in January, because nobody wants to sell their players,” said Bruce.
“If you're not any better than what you've got, then what's the point? I've been delighted with the squad so far.
“I still haven't seen some of them. I haven't seen Dwight Gayle, really. I haven't see Muto really playing for me. I haven't seen Lejeune play for me. There's a few that I still haven't seen play and that's where you need time.
“It's OK on the training ground. You could be the best player in the world on the training ground – (it’s) a bit different in front of 50,000 on a Saturday. Until I see that, then I can't make my mind up on someone.”