The £40million striker scored two goals in Newcastle United's 7-0 Carabao Cup win over Morecambe on Wednesday night.
However, Joelinton, the club’s No.9, would have scored a hat-trick had he attacked a deflected cross from Jacob Murphy at the far post at the Mazuma Stadium.
The 24-year-old – who scored four goals last season – left it, believing that it was going in, but the ball struck the post, and the League Two side were able to clear the danger.
Newcastle United to ‘push ahead’ with £48m double raid, Toon in ‘pole position’ for £42m Tottenham star
Newcastle United 'closing in' on £13m striker following St James's Park visit
Newcastle United in ‘pole position’ for Tottenham Hotspur ace as Magpies ‘eye’ Chelsea quartet
Newcastle United preparing bid for £25.3m striker who scored against them in pre-season
Jamie Carragher delivers mixed verdict on Newcastle United's £60m transfer window spend
Speaking ahead of Sunday’s Premier League game away to Tottenham Hotspur, Bruce said: “We talk about the opportunity he had, but what about the second goal he scored?
"Let’s take the positives. He thought it was going into the net, and wanted Jacob to score. His team-mates are important to him. Now, the cynics will say he should be more selfish, and I understand that, but he scored two good goals, the second one was a great one, and that can only help.”
Bruce hopes that Joelinton’s can now start scoring in the Premier League.
"There’s nothing quite like a forward player getting on the scoresheet,” said United's head coach. “The same sort of thing worked for Almiron last year.
"Let’s hope so with Joe. We all know there’s talent there – you have to have some ability to score the second goal. We all know there’s a good player in there. I’m just hoping after being here 12 months, we all start to see the benefit of playing in England.”