This is what Newcastle United's players think about takeover speculation

Takeover speculation is nothing new at Newcastle United – and the players are taking the latest reports in their stride

Monday, 10th February 2020, 8:41 am
Updated Monday, 10th February 2020, 8:41 am

Head coach Steve Bruce said late last month that news of Saudi-funded takeover bid had an “unsettling effect on everybody” at St James’s Park. The story broke before Newcastle played Norwich City at St James’s Park – and the Premier League game ended goalless.

However, Ciaran Clark says the players, given some time off after last week’s FA Cup win over Oxford United, are able to put speculation “to the back of their minds” when they take to the field.

“We’ve had it a couple of times now,” said the defender. “We’re obviously aware of what’s being said, but we try and concentrate on the games and training and try and put that to the back of our minds.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ciaran Clark.

Newcastle, 12th in the league, take on Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.