Former Newcastle United talent spotter Graham Carr handed new role at Sunderland's League One rivals
With the League One season drawing to a close, Sunderland and their rivals are turning their attentions to the summer.
We take a look at the latest news, transfer rumours and gossip from around the third tier:
League One news – Northampton Town, Doncaster Rovers in the headlines
- Northampton Town have handed a new role to former Newcastle United talent spotter Graham Carr. The 76-year-old, who helped the Magpies sign players such as Hatem Ben Arfa, Papiss Cisse and Yohan Cabaye, has been an associate director with the Cobblers since 2017 – but will now take an advisory role on the club’s new recruitment committee.
- James Coppinger has confirmed that he is in talks over a new role with Doncaster Rovers. The long-serving forward will retire at the end of the current campaign, but is discussing an off-field involvement with the club.
- Blackpool boss Neil Critchley says his side are ‘not finished yet’ as they prepare to the play-offs. The Seasiders are in pole position to finish third, but Critchley believes league standing will not ‘mean too much’ unless promotion follows.
League One transfer rumours – Charlton Athletic, Ipswich Town, Sunderland, Peterborough United and more
- Kevin Phillips believes that Ross Stewart could be a ‘ready-made’ replacement for Charlie Wyke at Sunderland. Speaking to Football Insider, the club legend said he believed that Stewart’s showing at Plymouth Argyle showed that he was ready to step into the side were Wyke to depart this summer – having been linked with Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest, Cardiff City and Millwall.
- Former Black Cat Martyn Waghorn could be set for a move to Ipswich Town, according to Football League World. The striker is out of contract at Derby County this summer and is being eyed for a return to Portman Road.
- Peterborough United are expected to be interested in Josh Knight this summer. The Peterborough Telegraph claim that the Leicester City midfielder, who has spent this season with Wycombe Wanderers, is likely to be a name on Darren Ferguson’s radar.
- Preston North End will look to recoup the £750,000 they spent on Jayden Stockley if he is to join Charlton Athletic this summer. That’s according to Lancashire Live, who claim the forward is unlikely to be handed regular starts at Deepdale.