Newcastle United and Celtic handed boost in bid to land striker from Sunderland's rivals

Sunderland’s promotion fate is now out of their hands – with a return to the Championship via the top two looking increasingly unlikely.

Thursday, 15th April 2021, 4:45 pm
Guy Melamed

While it is still mathematically possible for the Black Cats to finish in the automatic promotion place, they will be reliant on slip-ups from Peterborough United and Hull City in the coming weeks.

That means it could well be the lottery of the play-offs for Lee Johnson’s men as they seek a return to the second tier.

But while the club still don’t know which division they will be playing in next season, transfer rumours are already starting to swirl around the Stadium of Light.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Here’s the latest gossip from Wearside and around League One:

Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich-linked Guy Melamed speaks out on future

St Johnstone striker Guy Melamed has been linked with a host of English clubs this summer.

The Israeli striker, who only joined the McDiarmid Park outfit last year, has been in fine form this term having netted six times in 17 games.

And with his contract set to expire at the end of the current campaign, a host of League One clubs have been linked with a summer move.

Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich have all been credited with an interest, while St Johnstone are set to make renewing Melamed’s deal a priority.

But when quizzed on his future by the Daily Mail, Melamed offered encouragement to those reportedly chasing his signature – by suggesting he and his agent would consider any offers that may come his way this summer.

He said: “My contract is up in the summer and I will leave it to my agent to deal with my future and speak to St Johnstone or any other clubs.

“I am 28 now and I feel I am coming to the peak of my career.

“I am really enjoying playing for St Johnstone and I am only focused on doing well for them between now and the end of the season and after that I will sit down and discuss my options with my agent.”

Newcastle United handed boost in pursuit of League One youngster

A host of English and Scottish sides have been linked with a move for Wigan Athletic youngster Kyle Joseph.

The striker, who netted against the Black Cats at the Stadium of Light earlier this season, is set to be in high-demand come the summer – with Newcastle United and Celtic among the clubs credited with an interest in him.

And that duo may have just received a boost in their attempts to try and secure his services, with Football Insider claiming Rangers are set to back away from their pursuit of Joseph.

Micky Mellon responds to Doncaster Rovers links

Dundee United manager Micky Mellon says he remains focused on his job at Tannadice – despite reports linking him with League One side Doncaster Rovers.

"I’ve been linked all continuously all through my career with jobs, for many years now,” he told Sky Sports.

"I’ve always found a way of staying focused and I don’t speak a lot about it.

"I can tell you now I’m 100 per cent focused on what I want to do [at Dundee United].”