More falling victim to virus in South Tyneside
The number of coronavirus cases have climbed in South Tyneside over the last month, new figures reveal.
As pressure mounts on the Government to reintroduce restrictions amid soaring numbers across the UK, UK Health Security Agency data shows 644 people in the borough tested positive in the week to October 21 – a 48% increase from 434 reported in the seven days to September 23.
The average rate of infection in South Tyneside over the period stood at 426 cases per 100,000 – up on the 287 a month earlier – with the highest number of cases among youngsters aged 10 to 14 (106), followed by 55 to 59-year-olds (50) and teenagers aged 15 to 19 (47).
Labour is calling on the Government to reintroduce some measures included in its "plan B" proposal – such as mandatory mask wearing, home working and vaccine passports for large events and nightclubs.
Nationally, 325,700 cases were reported in the week to October 21 – 38% up on four weeks earlier.
The number of people who died within 28 days of a positive test result for Covid-19 decrease over the same period, from 998 to 909.
In South Tyneside, one death was recorded in the week to October 21, compared to six in the week to September 23.
Health Secretary Sajid Javid has rejected calls to move to plan B, but said the Government would keep the situation under review.
He said: “We all want a fantastic Christmas and we can ensure that by getting out there and getting our vaccines.”