Four suspected car thieves arrested after helicopter led police to their hiding place

Two men and two women were brought into custody after a police helicopter helped officers discover the suspected thieves’ hiding place.

Wednesday, 13th May 2020, 11:23 am
Updated Thursday, 14th May 2020, 12:05 pm

Northumbria Police gave chase to a stolen VW Golf on Saturday, May 9 after being notified via ANPR cameras that the vehicle was travelling in the Houghton area.

Officers located the car on the A690 near to Burn Park Road – but the vehicle’s driver ignored signals to stop and instead led police on a high-speed chase towards the A1.

After being forced to abandon the dangerous pursuit to avoid a collision, officers instead called on the help of the National Police Air Service (NPAS) helicopter, which tracked the suspected thieves towards South Tyneside.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Two men and two women were brought into police custody following the pursuit.

Read More

Read More
Thief admits to stealing bank cards and burglary at Premier Inn

The helicopter guided police to the location of the vehicle, which was in the Primose area of Jarrow and had been abandoned by the occupants.

Officers then brought two men and two women, who matched their descriptions, into custody.

Chief Inspector Sam Rennison, who leads the force’s Motor Patrols Department, has praised the teamwork between officers on the ground and in the air.

She said: “This was a high-speed pursuit during which the offending vehicle weaved in between traffic, drove at high speed and rammed our police cars.

“Such was the manner of the driving that our officers had to back off from the pursuit and rely on the expertise of our colleagues in the air to track the vehicle.

“They stayed in constant communication and thanks to the work of the helicopter crew, officers were once again able to pick up the trail of the suspected thieves.

“Ultimately they were brought into custody without a serious collision and, most importantly, without anyone being seriously injured.

“This is a demonstration of the excellent teamwork taking place across our force every day and should come as a strong warning to suspected criminals on our roads.”

The two men, aged 25 and 23, and two women, aged 28 and 19, were all arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle and have since been released under investigation.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world.

But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you.

How to subscribe to the print edition:

It’s easy to subscribe to your local newspaper. We have arranged a special 20 per cent off subscription offer for people to take advantage of.

Visit, choose the newspaper title, the type of subscription and enter your details.