Anthony Larson, 50, of no fixed abode, turned up at the home of former girlfriend in Jarrow despite a court ordered ban.
He feared she was unwell and had been unable to contact her by phone – and she was not even in when he came calling, South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court heard.
But her daughter was and heard Larsen call out his ex’s name and discreetly watched as he stood by the front door and then walked away.
The court was told the restraining order, imposed in 2015, did not prohibit contact between them and there was no malicious intent in his actions.
Man in life-threatening condition after 'serious collision' involving car and pedestrian in South Shields
Campaigners rally against Local Plan after farmland in Cleadon earmarked for 156 homes
Pair set up cannabis farm in town centre flat
Appeal to find owner of lost Labrador after dog found near Jarrow Cemetery
South Shields man jailed for terrifying physical and sexual assault on woman in her own home
However, it does exclude him from entering the Jarrow street – and he was handed a 12-week prison term, suspended for a year, after he admitted doing so.
Prosecutor Paul Doney said: “He was in a relationship that lasted for about a year.
He said: “There’s been a number of breaches of the order, but this is the first since May.”
David Forrester, defending, said Larson breached the order by going into the Jarrow street, not by having contact.
He added: “It appears that he became aware that [his ex-partner] was unwell, and she wouldn’t answer the phone, which is why he knocked on the door.
“They are in contact, and there’s no suggestion that there has been any threats or intent. [His former girlfriend] isn’t even there.”
District Judge Kathryn Meek told Larson: “I note that it’s a year since your last breach.
“There is no harassment caused to anybody and no danger and no threat.
“However, when a court makes an order it expects it to be complied with.”
Larson must also pay a £122 victim surcharge.
At the same court hearing, he pleaded not guilty to an alleged assault against a man in Hebburn on February 13, for which he faces trial at the same court on July 14.
He was granted bail on condition he does not enter Prendwick Avenue, Hebburn, and does not interfere with prosecution witnesses.