Drunken South Shields woman made hoax drug overdose claims

A drunken woman who sparked an emergency response after making false claims that she had taken a cocktail of drugs has been warned about her antics by magistrates.

Friday, 12th August 2016, 11:01 am
Updated Friday, 12th August 2016, 12:04 pm
South Tyneside District Hospital.

Lisa Ash told cops she had taken more than 50 prescription pills and sunk four cans of lager and was taken to South Tyneside Hospital for treatment – despite hurling abuse at officers.

But when the 27-year-old arrived in the A&E department, she revealed her deceit and was swiftly taken into custody after continuing her foul-mouthed behaviour.

Ash, of Lynwood Way, South Shields, admitted being drunk and disorderly in a public place when she appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She was handed a 12-month conditional discharge but was warned she may face stiffer punishment in the future if she doesn’t mend her ways.

Justin Gibson, prosecuting, said: “At 6.30pm on Monday, May 30, police were called to an address in South Shields over reports a female had taken an overdose.

“They were redirected to Elizabeth Street and spotted Ash over the road at a bus stop on Westoe Road.

“She told them she had taken 40 heart tablets and 16 tablets for seizures and had four cans of lager.

“She was told an ambulance was on the way but continued to shout abuse in front of members of the public and young children at the bus stop.

“She was taken to South Tyneside Hospital, but continued to be abusive.

“She was told by a ward sister she wouldn’t be treated if she didn’t calm down.

“She then said she hadn’t taken an overdose.

“She was discharged and then taken to South Shields Police Station, where she again confirmed she had not taken an overdose.”

Ash, who was unrepresented at court, made no comments in mitigation to magistrates.

Robert McDonald, chairman of the magistrates, said; “You will be given a 12-month conditional discharge, but a future Bench might not be so accomodating.”

Ash was also ordered to pay a £20 victim surcharge.