Fire service issue advice after tumble dryer fire in South Shields

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue have released advice to the public after a tumble dryer caused a fire in South Shields.

Thursday, 12th December 2019, 1:57 pm
Updated Thursday, 12th December 2019, 3:42 pm
This tumble dryer caused the fire. Photo: Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue

The fire took place on Sunday, December 8 on Mortimer Road in South Shields.

Crews of fire fighters from South Shields, Marley Park and Hebburn were sent to the scene and found a tumble dryer on fire.

The fire service’s photos show the aftermath of the fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Thankfully, no one was hurt. Photo: Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue

A spokesperson for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue said: “Thankfully, the property's smoke alarms were working and no one was injured.”

This is their advice to protecting your family and your home from electrical fires:

Register all appliances to be informed of safety recalls.

Never run tumble dryers washing machines or dishwashers overnight or when you're out.

Only buy from reputable retailers.

Don't overload plug sockets.

Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly.