The gated section of South Pier has been closed to both anglers and walkers throughout the coronavirus pandemic over fears that people will not be able to keep to the Government’s social distancing guidelines.
Port of Tyne which manages the pier, have said that due to the pier’s size and shape people would not able to keep two metres away from each other if it was to reopen.
However the section of the pier which connects to the Little Haven promenade does remain open to the public, as it has throughout all of the national and local lockdowns.
But as the first restrictions begin to ease this month, with schools to reopen on March 8, Port of Tyne has confirmed that it is reviewing the closure of the pier.
However it was unable to confirm a date for the pier to reopen to the public at this stage.
A Port of Tyne spokeswoman said: “We’re currently reviewing it in line with the Government’s roadmap.”
During the pier’s closure there have been a number of reported incidents at the pier in recent months - including regular instances of trespassing and a number of potential criminal damage cases, as fishermen and walkers have sought to enter the area while it has been locked.
The harbour master said trespassing incidents were occurring at the pier “on a weekly basis”.
He also said that heavy-duty tools, such as bolt-cutters and car jacks, had been used by trespassers to gain entry to the pier area in recent months.