Morpeth stay on a high with win at Jarrow Roofing

Jarrow Roofing last night fell 3-2 at the hands of FA Vase finalists Morpeth Town.
Paul ChowPaul Chow
Paul Chow

Although the visitors got the opening goal, the Roofers looked good in the opening exchanges - limiting Morpeth to passing the ball around the middle of the park due to their defensive solidarity.

On 18 minutes, however, Sean Taylor ploughed down the left wing to the bye-line and played a square ball into the penalty area to allow the hero of the Vase semi-final Luke Carr to tap in from the edge of the six yard box.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Roofing did well to limit Morpeth to one goal in the opening 45 minutes, especially considering they spent a good portion of it playing with 10 men due to an injury to Kerry Hedley.

Thirteen minutes after the interval and the visitors struck again.

Michael Mackay was caught in possession just inside the Morpeth half and the ball was played long - Regan came out to collect but was beaten to it by the onrushing Sean Taylor who fired it low beyond the keeper and into the bottom corner.

On his home debut, Michael Laws halved the deficit on 65 minutes after an inswinging corner saw the ball cleared off the line no less than three times before the former Whitley Bay man was able to volley the rebound high into the roof of the net.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 77 minutes, a cross was played in from the Morpeth right and evaded the entire Roofing defence, allowing substitute Sean Pearson to sweetly strike the ball on the volley and send it back into the bottom corner of the net.

Roofing got a second through Paul Chow in the second minute of injury time when youngster Robbie Williamson picked up a cross field ball on the edge of the area and fired it towards goal.

The shot was blocked but the clinical Chow made no mistake in sending the rebound powerfully into the back of the net.

Roofing face another difficult clash on Saturday when Shildon come to South Tyneside, no doubt looking to return to winning ways.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Elsewhere last night, Durham City remain locked in the Ebac Northern League First Division relegation zone following a 2-0 defeat by rival strugglers West Allotment Celtic at Whitley Park. Stephen Young scored both goals.