'Disgusting!': Andy Carroll's blunt verdict after controversial defeat

Andy Carroll has lifted the lid on his frustration at a “disgusting” game – and hit back at claims he should have been sent off.

Sean Dyche said he was “surprised” that Carroll had stayed on the pitch after he caught Ben Mee with his elbow in Newcastle United’s 1-0 defeat to Burnley at a freezing Turf Moor on Saturday.

Carroll and his team-mates were unhappy at the corner from which Chris Wood scored the home side's goal.

Steve Bruce, United's head coach, claimed that referee Tim Robinson “looked short” at Premier League level in an extraordinary post-match assessment of the newly-promoted official’s performance.

The game was punctuated by fouls, and Carroll gave a blunt verdict on the fixture.

“It was disgusting – it was a disgusting game,” said Carroll, who had been recalled to the starting XI. “The weather was terrible, the referee gave decisions against us. We gave everything we could give on the basis it was a poor game.

“We're very frustrated – it was clearly a draw all day. There were poor decisions all night from the ref, and that led to their goal. It wasn't a corner. The ref has given a corner when he had given a goal kick – it was a foul on Feddy (Federico Fernandez).”

Carroll was booked for the second-half challenge on Mee.

Andy Carroll holds off Phil Bardsley at Turf Moor.

“It was just a challenge,” said Carroll. “I was jumping up, getting elbows, giving elbows. It was exactly the same at both ends. But, somehow, every game it’s me – it’s always me.”

Dyche felt that there was “no malice” in the challenge, but Burnley’s manager added: “If you leave an elbow, and it’s too far, too high and too late, then the way the modern game is, you probably get sent off.”

Asked whether it was a red card, Carroll said: “No, definitely not.”

Carroll, 30, had been handed the captain’s armband as Bruce was without Jamaal Lascelles and Jonjo Shelvey. He said: “It's nice to have the armband, but it means nothing if you don't win.

Steve Bruce approaches referee Tim Robinson after the game.

Carroll played the full 90 minutes. He said: “I feel fine. There wasn't much running about, really – it was just jumping in the air.”