The club, we know, has been exploring the loan market in recent weeks with a view to signing a defender and a striker.
Bruce, however, insisted after Saturday night’s 3-1 win over Burnley at St James’s Park that he didn’t foresee any more business following the earlier arrivals of Callum Wilson, Ryan Fraser, Jeff Hendrick, Mark Gillespie and Jamal Lewis.
The hilarious reason Newcastle United goalkeeper Nick Pope went viral on Twitter following Burger King tweet
Newcastle United transfer target confirms move ahead of official announcement
Newcastle United and Everton plot ‘£30m’ striker raid, Toon midfielder ‘expected to depart’
‘Data experts’ predict clear favourite in Newcastle United’s clash with Brighton and deliver Leeds United, Everton and Manchester United verdicts
Newcastle United to ‘push ahead’ with £48m double raid, Toon in ‘pole position’ for £42m Tottenham star
“As I’ve said, I’ve been very pleased with what we’ve done before the season start, which was imperative for me,” said United’s head coach. “I’m relaxed about the whole thing.
“I can’t see me in the market unless, as I’ve said, something really, really special comes along on loan. But I don’t think, at this particular moment, we’ll be doing any more business.”
That’s pretty unequivocal, though the Gazette understands that the club, which was close to signing Rob Holding on loan from Arsenal earlier in the window, still hasn’t ruled out signing a defender.
And the injury suffered by Fabian Schar against Burnley could yet force the club’s hand given that Bruce, without Jamaal Lascelles at the weekend, has been short on numbers in defence with Ciaran Clark and Paul Dummett sidelined.
Newcastle also look short up front with Dwight Gayle out until late this year, and some fans have voiced concerns about Bruce’s options there should Wilson be missing for any length of time.
However, it would be hard enough finding a striker at this late stage with tens of millions of pounds to spend. A loan deal would appear to be a non-starter, hence Bruce’s comments.
The only arrival could be midfielder Rodrigo Vilca, who is set to join from Peruvian club Deportivo Municipal. The midfielder will link up with the club’s development squad.
Things could be busier with outgoings. Christian Atsu and DeAndre Yedlin are available for transfer, while Bruce is keen to move out the likes of Henri Saivet, Rolando Aarons and Achraf Lazaar.
Premier League teams will be able to do business with EFL clubs until October 16.