Newcastle United defender addresses contractual situation ahead of talks with Steve Bruce
Paul Dummett’s hoping to extend his Newcastle United career.
The long-serving defender’s contract is due to expire at the end of the season – and he’s set for discussions with the club’s hierarchy over an extension.
Speaking after last week's 4-2 win over Leicester City, United head coach Steve Bruce said: “Look, there’ll be discussions going on in the next few weeks, that’s for sure. Obviously, we’re all aware of Dummy’s situation.”
Newcastle’s Premier League status was confirmed for another season following Fulham’s 2-0 defeat to Burnley on Monday night.
Dummett – who scored his first goal in more than five years in the Leicester win – addressed his future when he fielded a question from a supporter for the club’s Zoom Army feature, which was filmed before the latest round of top-flight fixtures.
The 29-year-old – who had loan spells at Gateshead and St Mirren earlier in his career – was asked if he would like to spend his entire career at Newcastle, hos boyhood club.
"Yeah, it certainly would be lovely to play my full career at Newcastle,” said Dummett, who made his senior debut eight years ago and was a fixture in the team during Rafa Benitez's tenure.
"But, at the moment, I'm concentrating on keeping Newcastle in the Premier League, and trying to finish the season as strongly as we can.
"Those conversations about keeping me in the club will happen at the right time, but, at the moment, I need to concentrate on playing games, and finishing the season as strongly as we can."