Newcastle United fans give contract verdict on Andy Carroll, Fabian Schar and Dwight Gayle – and the future of Florian Lejeune

Contracts, who gets a new one and who doesn’t is on the agenda at Newcastle United this summer with a number of players either entering their final year or seeing their deals come to an end this month.

Wednesday, 2nd June 2021, 6:00 am

Andy Carroll, Fabian Schar, Dwight Gayle and Federico Fernandez are four high-profile players who see their contract come to end before July.

With Gayle and Schar likely to see deals extended, and talks understood to be advanced for Argentine Fernandez, it is Geordie forward Carroll who looks most at risk.

So as part of our end of season review we asked you to give your thoughts on contract decisions in our Big Shields Gazette NUFC survey.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Newcastle United fans have been taking part in our end of season BIG Shields Gazette NUFC survey.

The votes are cast and results in – so here’s what you thought on whether Carroll should get a new deal.

Of the 1,621 responses, 9.7% thought Carroll’s second coming at St James’ Park should be extended. That leaves 90.3% who think his time is up.

We also asked you whether Fernandez should he handed fresh terms and the result was just as starkly split – but this time in the opposite direction.

Some 92.8% of fans who cast a vote think the central defender should get a contract extension, while the remaining 7.2% think Fernandez should be allowed to leave on a free this summer.

Newcastle United fans believe the Magpies have made a mistake in handing Dwight Gayle a new deal.

While Schar has a one-year extension ready to be fired up on his contract, a player who does not is Gayle. Talk, however, is that the frontman will be handed a new three-year deal, that despite struggling for goals and games in what has been a tough campaign for the former NUFC No.9.

So we asked: ‘do you think giving Dwight Gayle a new contract is the correct decision?’.

Of the 1,620 responses, only 17.1% of fans believe the club are making the right call in keeping Gayle, with 82.9% thinking they’re judging this one wrong.

And finally, one player likely to exit this summer is Florian Lejeune – however, the Frenchman remains a fan favourite on Tyneside. That is reflected in how many want to see him handed a second chance upon his return from a loan spell in La Liga.

Federico Fernandez of Newcastle United clashes with Josh Maja of Fulham during the Premier League match between Fulham and Newcastle United at Craven Cottage on May 23, 2021 in London, England.A limited number of fans will be allowed into Premier League stadiums as Coronavirus restrictions begin to ease in the UK. (Photo by Matthew Childs - Pool/Getty Images)

Some 84.4% of fans want Lejeune to stay next season.

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription; sign up here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor