Steve Bruce gives transfer update at Newcastle United
Bruce, without a clutch of players, last week lost Jetro Willems and Paul Dummett to season-ending injuries.
However, Bruce – whose side came from two goals down to raw 2-2 with Everton at Goodison Park last night – believes that United’s injured list will soon shorten.
“Look, we’re without Jetro and Dummy for the rest of the season,” said United’s head coach. “Hopefully, after we play Norwich (on February 1), we’ve got a two-week break. I’m quietly confident everybody will be fit apart from them two.
“If somebody better can improve the squad, then I’ll try and grab. But what’s the point if Andy Carroll and Dwight Gayle and (Yoshinori) Muto are going to be fit in the next two or three weeks? What’s the point of just bringing in someone if they’re not going to be any better? I’m going to be patient.”
The club, which has been in talks with Inter Milan over a loan for winger Valentino Lazaro, is looking at signing a left-back until the end of the season.
Newcastle this week signed midfielder Nabil Bentaleb on loan from Schalke 04.
“He’s a very good player,” said Bruce. “He’s played at the highest level for Spurs.
“I was particularly impressed with him as a young player when he burst into the scene, and gets a big-money move to Schalke, where he’s probably played 90 times at the top end of the Bundesliga. He’s a good acquisition, a good player.”