This is what Steve Bruce had to say about Ki Sung-yueng's Newcastle United future

Steve Bruce has addressed Ki Sung-yueng’s future at Newcastle United – after the midfielder’s father claimed he wanted to leave.

Saturday, 14th December 2019, 6:00 am
Updated Saturday, 14th December 2019, 6:00 am

Ki, signed by Rafa Benitez last year, last started a Premier League game in August.

And the 30-year-old – who will miss this afternoon’s game against Burnley at Turf Moor – is said to be looking to leave St James’s Park in the New Year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Asked if Ki, out of contract next summer, had a future at Newcastle, head coach Bruce said: “I'm never going to rule out anyone.

“(Javier) Manquillo, (Federico) Fernandez, (Ciaran) Clark have all come in, and probably never got much of a look in at the start. I'll never, ever write anybody off.

“The opportunity’s the same for them all, and I think that's important when you're trying to create a spirit. If you do get a chance, take it. Ki’s been unfortunate but with Jonjo (Shelvey), Isaac (Hayden) and the Longstaff (Sean and Matty) brothers, he has got a bit of competition.”

Ki – who hasn’t featured since the 5-0 defeat away to Leicester City in late September – has been unwell.

Ki Sung-yueng.
Ki Sung-yueng.

“He hasn't been very well,” said Bruce, who could recall Sean Longstaff to his midfield against Burnley with Jonjo Shelvey doubtful with a calf problem. “He's been sick, but he's OK now he's got through it, but he hasn't been very well.”