South Shields seafront hotel closes for fortnight to 'keep all guests and staff safe' from coronavirus
The Little Haven Hotel in South Shields from tomorrow, Tuesday, September 22, until Saturday, October 3, as it looks to find out how the Government plans to tackle the rise in cases, which has seen South Tyneside and surrounding council areas put under greater restrictions.
Its management has said the temporary closure will allow it to look at the next move in handling non-compliance of the rules and social distancing measures, while it has also seen a “significant fall-off in bookings” since the borough was placed under tighter measures last week.
It is retaining its workforce on the Government’s flexible furlough scheme, with 38 people employed at the 62-bedroom hotel, which also has a restaurant open to non-guests.
The management team of the River Drive business say it will be following updates on the local restrictions as well as any policy updates as they work towards reopening, with a deep clean planned during the pause in trade.
No Covid-19 cases have been connected with the venue.
A statement on its Facebook and website says: “It is with great sadness that following on from the recent Government announcements, and in order to ensure that all guests and staff remain safe, the hotel’s management team have decided to close the business temporarily from Tuesday, September 22, until October 3.
“The management are doing everything within their power to ensure that everyone remains safe.“Further updates will be posted on our website and social media channels as the information becomes available to us from the Government.
"We look forward to welcoming you back once it is safe to do so.
"Thank you for your continued support.”
The pandemic continues to hit the hospitality industry hard, with the local restrictions advising people not to socialise with those outside of their household or social bubble, with the ‘Rule of Six’ continuing to be in place across the country.