Suspected burglar crashed into South Shields roundabout during dangerous police chase

Suspected burglar crashed into roundabout during a dangerous police chase and attempted to flee on foot after breaking into a home and making off with the victim’s car.

Monday, 1st March 2021, 3:14 pm

Officers were called by a member of the public who had spotted a thief sat in the front seat of her car shortly after 5.30am on Saturday, February 27.

The victim realised the offender had broken into her Cleadon home and stolen her handbag and car keys and quickly fired up the ignition making off in her Skoda.

The suspect drove erratically at high speed and posed a serious risk to other road users.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A man has been arrested following a police chase

Police were able to set up a stinger which successfully burst the car’s tyres on Nevinson Avenue, with the driver losing control and later crashing into a roundabout.

Read More

Read More
Doorstep conman behind bars after preying on 91-year-old woman in South Shields

In a desperate last bid for freedom, an driver made off on foot – but it was only a matter of time before police found a 38-year-old suspect hiding in a nearby garden.

He was placed under arrest and has since been charged with eight offences – two counts of burglary, aggravated vehicle taking, failure to provide a specimen, driving without a licence, no insurance, common assault and a racially-aggravated public order offence.

Northumbria Police used a stinger to stop the car

Chief Inspector Nicola Wearing, of Northumbria Police, said: “This was a fast-moving incident which unfolded after a woman realised she had been the victim of a burglary and saw the offender sat in the front seat of her car.

“Officers from various different teams were deployed in a bid to bring the vehicle to a swift and safe stop – and that became of increasing importance due to the manner of the occupant’s driving.

“Thankfully, some great teamwork led to a stinger popping the car’s tyres – and within minutes we had our suspect placed in handcuffs and on his way into custody.

“This was an incident that posed a real and serious risk to the public, so we were absolutely delighted with the quick outcome with nobody injured. I would like to thank everyone involved – and a man is now due in court to answer a string of charges.”

He is due to appear before magistrates in South Tyneside on Monday, March 1.

You can subscribe to this website and enjoy unlimited access to local news, information and puzzles online. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Simply click ‘Subscribe’ in the menu.