Newcastle United target: 10 things you didn't know about Nano
Newcastle United have been linked with an in-form Spanish striker, Nano.
The 21-year-old has been the lead striker for Tenerife in Spain’s Segunda División, attracting interest from a number of clubs in Spain and beyond.
Here are 10 things you didn’t know about the forward.
1. Nano was born Alexander Mesa Travieso in the Canary Islands on February 5, 1995
2. The forward and joined CD Tenerife’s youth academy in 2006 at the age of 11 and by the age of 17 made his debut for the club’s B-team
3. Nano was promoted into the Tenerife senior team in the 2013-14 season and made his debut in January 2014, just two weeks shy of his 19th birthday, coming on as a sub against AD Alcorcón.
4. Nano was loaned to Centre d’Esports l’Hospitalet on the Spanish mainland in the 2014-15 season, playing in the Segunda B División, scoring three times.
5. He returned to Tenerife in 2015 when he signed a three-year contract.
6. Nano became a regular in the side and scored his first pro goal for Tenerife on August 23, 2015, netting in the 6-3 defeat at Numancia.
7. When Nano applied two smart finishes in the 2-1 win at Mirandes in March this year, it made it back-to-back braces for the attacker.
8. The striker was denied a hat-trick in Tenerife’s final home game when a header was judged offside in the 3-1 thumping of Valladolid.
9. Nano’s squad number is 22
10.Tenerife finished the season Segunda División in 15th place, nine points shy of the play-offs, Nano ending the season with 14 goals.