Chichester Road resident's shock after man dies in house car crash

Chichester Road resident Norman Nicholson has spoken of his shock after a man died when a car crashed into his home in the early hours of the morning.

Friday, 24th January 2020, 1:52 pm
Updated Friday, 24th January 2020, 4:42 pm

The 68-year-old was sleeping upstairs at the time of the crash and woke up from the impact of it to find that the door to his property had come off.

One man died in the horror crash and a female passenger is in hospital with life threatening injuries following the crash at around 4am on Friday morning.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Chichester Road resident Norman Nicholson said his home was hit by the car involved in the crash.

Mr Nicholson said he has been left shaken by the fatal incident.

He said: "I woke up, it was 4am and I went downstairs.

"I saw the door was off and as I walked down I had to take part of the railing because it was in the passage. I just threw it out.

"On the right hand side there was something smoking right out side the door. That was part of the engine.

The scene of the crash on Chichester Road in South Shields.

"When something like this happens you don't feel so good later on. I feel a bit shaky."

An 18-year-old man has been detained by police in connection with events prior to the collision. A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “Officers have detained an 18-year-old man in connection with events prior to the collision.

“He is currently assisting us with our enquiries.

“The road has now re-opened and police would like to thank the community for their cooperation and patience.”

Police were called at around 4.15am to Chichester Road where a white Audi S3 had collided with a house.

It was also later established another man, a passenger, had left the scene of the collision but had been located in hospital with serious injuries.

Chichester Road was closed between the junctions of Westoe Road and Dean Road while police officers carried out their inquiries.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service confirmed they attended the incident and made the house safe.