Family left heartbroken after beloved dog dies from suspected poisoning in Hebburn

A family has been left heartbroken after their beloved pet dog lost its life after they fear he consumed poison while out for a walk.

Sunday, 23rd May 2021, 4:55 am
Updated Monday, 24th May 2021, 12:31 pm
Biscuit the dog

Margret Newman and Bob Dial were devastated after their four-year-old dog Biscuit passed away from liver failure.

They suspect he picked up something poisonous from either Hebburn Riverside Park or Hebburn Cemetery.

The couple took Biscuit, a cockapoo, to an emergency vet after their beloved pet became ill and lethargic following a walk.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Biscuit the dog

He later passed away from liver failure due to suspected poisoning before anything could be done to save him.

The retired couple and their family said they were shocked at how quickly Biscuit’s condition deteriorated over 48 hours, and want to warn other dog owners to be careful when out on walks.

“I just can’t get my head around it, it all happened so quickly. It’s like losing a family member, he was our baby. We’re all just devastated,” said Margaret.

“He was gorgeous and had the most beautiful nature. He loved everybody, he was so happy and friendly.

Bob Dial and Biscuit with another family dog, Holly.

"I don’t want to point blame as we don’t know if this was done maliciously, but I want to warn others to be careful so no one else has to go through the same thing.”

After the family took Biscuit to the vet, they said the team did everything they could to keep him alive until they could perform a blood transfusion. But Biscuit could not be saved.

Margret added: “Biscuit was just four years old and had a whole life still ahead of him.

"No one should have to through anything like this. If you’re out walking your dog please just be careful where you let them off the lead.”

Biscuit, 4, died from a suspected poisoning after a walk in Hebburn.

In the advice section of its website, animal charity the PDSA states pets are “curious creatures” and there are many potential dangers while out and about, or even in our homes and gardens.

They advise pet owners to contact a vet immediately if they believe their pet is ill or may have eaten something poisonous.

It lists potential sources of poisoning, including toxic foods, poisonous plants and animals, and hazardous household and garden substances.

Support your Gazette and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.

Margret Newman and Bob Dial with their beloved pet dog Biscuit.
Margret Newman and Bob Dial with their beloved pet dog Biscuit.