Takeaway boss left counting the cost after South Shields chippy fire
Malu Miah and his staff were forced to flee the Moonlight takeway, on Woodbine Terrace, after a fire broke out at the neighbouring Red Hut fish and chip shop, in Ocean Road, on Saturday night.
Mr Miah, who took over the business in October, had no choice but to abandon orders that had come in - estimating he had lost around £1,500.
When he was able to return to the property, he discovered there was no gas and electricity, leaving meat and other foodstuffs to go to waste.
Power was eventually restored on Sunday and the takeaway was re-opened for business.
Mr Miah said: "I had to leave everything. Orders were coming in, the chef was in the middle of cooking - we just had to leave everything.
"We had no way of letting our customers know what was happening, so we hope they will understand.
"With the orders we were not able to do, the meat and food I have had to throw out, I have lost about £1,500.
"Saturday is one of my busiest nights and we couldn't do anything. I am sorry for my customers who we let down."
Mr Miah, who re-opened his business on Sunday after replacing his stock, says he will be attempting to make contact with his customers to apologise and explain.
Firefighters were called to the Red Hut fish and chip shop at about 6.30pm.
Crews from South Shields, Hebburn and Wallsend attended. Firefighters say the fire started in a deep fat fryer, and quickly got out of control.
A father and two children were rescued from an upstairs flat before crews arrived.
The shop suffered heavy fire, heat and smoke damage. The first and second floors suffered light smoke damage.