Woman hurled abuse at cops after park bust-up

A drunken woman who was thrown into a lake after a park bust-up with her ex partner went from hospital to custody after going off the deep end with police.
Boating lake at South Marine ParkBoating lake at South Marine Park
Boating lake at South Marine Park

Sonya Stokoe sought medical treatment at the accident and emergency department at South Tyneside Hospital after being flung ‘head-first’ into the boating lake at South Marine Park, in South Shields.

But police were soon called into action by hospital staff who reported she was being abusive in the grounds of the hospital.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stokoe hurled foul-mouthed abusive at cops upon their arrival and was arrested after refusing to curb her language.

Stokoe, of John Williamson Street, South Shields, admitted being drunk and disorderly in a public place when she appeared in the dock at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

Defence solicitor Christopher Brown said Stokoe had suffered a concussion in the attack and was ‘upset’ when she swore at the police.

Clare Irving, prosecuting, said: “At 12.20am on Sunday, June 26, police were called to South Tyneside Hospital due to reports of an abusive female.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“When Stokoe was approached by police she said she had done nothing wrong and swore at them.

“She was asked to stop swearing but continued to do so and was arrested.

“The officers noted she was drunk.”

Christopher Brown, defending, said: “She had been thrown head-first into a pond at South Marine Park, in among the ducks, swans and the moored crafts.

“She had been drinking and her ex-partner threw her in the pond, which isn’t very deep.

“She was concussed, upset and devastated by what happened.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“She was standing outside the A&E department and wanted to be by herself.

“When the police officers went to speak to her she used some swear words. She is very sorry for what happened.”

Magisatrates heard that Stokoe owes £1,664 to the court in fines and costs for previous convictions.

Dave Errington, chair of the magistrates, said; “Irrespective of what happened to you that day, you have to behave in a right and just way when at the hospital or on its grounds.”

Stokoe was handed a 12-month conditional discharge and must pay a £20 victim surcharge.