Steve Bruce issues Newcastle United injury update on Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin ahead of Tottenham Hotspur game
Steve Bruce is hopeful that Callum Wilson will be ready to return to the fray against Tottenham Hotspur.
The Newcastle United striker has been sidelined since early February with a hamstring problem – and could be ready to return at St James’s Park on April 4.
Allan Saint-Maximin, out since late last month with a groin problem, is also nearing a comeback.
Bruce – who is safe in his job despite Saturday night’s shocking 3-0 defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion – was asked if he could have two “key” players back for the Tottenham game.
“Yes, but we’ve got to be careful,” said Bruce, who recalled fit-again Miguel Almiron to his starting XI at the Amex Stadium.
“We’ve seen Miggy desperate to play. He’s been missing for five weeks. We knew he was going to blow in the last 20 minutes or so He was desperate to play, the kid, but we knew we had to take him off at some point.”
Asked if the two-week international break had come at a good time, Bruce said: “It comes at a good time in terms of that it gives us time to see where we are with injuries. That’s for sure. We’ll see where we are in 10 days time.
"We’ve got six or seven away (playing international football). We’ll go back to work, and get ready for the next challenge.”
Newcastle are 17th in the Premier League game with nine games left to play – and two points above the relegation zone.